cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementation of the Continuations checker
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:06:31 GMT
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> I think the key point is that we are using Quartz as the implementation,
>> but not as the interface. Now we already have the quartz block with
>> the required implementation, so it's easy to use that.
>> The first step is to do this move. If then someone things that an
>> own implementation would be better, this can simply be changed without
>> destroying compatibility.
>>
>> Carsten
>>

> I'm not saying don't do this, but I am asking if this is really what you
> want.  After briefly looking at the Event interface and the Cron block, they
> appear to be very different.  The Cron block appears to be about job
> scheduling, which is fine if that is really what you want.  But if you really
> want some sort of Event handling, I'm not sure Cron is what you want - mostly
> I guest because I'm not sure what that means.
>
> I guess I would just like a confirmation that the interface that is going to
> be used is acceptable.

The event package was named after the SEDA architecture at
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/. We just used the part of it
to run jobs once or periodically in an more economic way than just
spawning a new Thread whenever such need araises. Now, the cron block is
just all about that and uses Quartz as implementation for the
component interface defined in the cron block. So quartz itself is totally
shielded by the interfaces.

--
Giacomo Pati