cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementation of the Continuations checker
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:02:47 GMT
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Unico Hommes wrote:

> On 30-okt-04, at 18:46, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>> I think the key point is that we are using Quartz as the
>>> implementation,
>>> but not as the interface. Now we already have the quartz block with
>>> the required implementation, so it's easy to use that.
>>> The first step is to do this move. If then someone things that an
>>> own implementation would be better, this can simply be changed without
>>> destroying compatibility.
>>>
>>> Carsten
>>>
>> I'm not saying don't do this, but I am asking if this is really what you
>> want.  After briefly looking at the Event interface and the Cron block,
>> they appear to be very different.  The Cron block appears to be about job
>> scheduling, which is fine if that is really what you want.  But if you
>> really want some sort of Event handling, I'm not sure Cron is what you
>> want - mostly I guest because I'm not sure what that means.
>>
>> I guess I would just like a confirmation that the interface that is going
>> to be used is acceptable.
>>

> I agree. The focus of quartz seems very different than that provided by event
> and that needed by the use cases Vadim listed. Looking at the JobScheduler
> interface I can't shake off the feeling that cron is not the canon (honestly
> it's quite a beast!) best fitted to shoot the flies we are dealing with.

Vadim listed the usecase for scheduling tasks to be done once or
periodically. Looking at the JobScheduler interface there just is that
functionality presented. So, why do you say "The focus of quartz seems
very different than that"? We are not specifically talking about Quartz
but about the JobScheduler interface. We can use the cron block as a
replacement of the functionalities quickly. If you think the JobScheduler
interface implementation using Quartz is not hat you need just write
another one.

--
Giacomo Pati