cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Implementation of the Continuations checker
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:53:34 GMT
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>> The current implementation of our continuations manager uses the
>>> excalibur event package for the background checker that checks for
>>> expired continuations.
>>>
>>> Now, this approach has the problem, that excalibur event is
>>> deprecated. In addition we aren't using it somewhere else,
>> so it would
>>> be great if we could remove this dependency.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I wrote a simple replacement which I checked into 2.2:
>>> a simple background thread is initialized that sleeps for a
>> configured
>>> period of time, checks the continuations, sleeps etc.
>>> Now, this solution should work.
>>>
>>> The question is now, should I port this to 2.1.x as well? Are there
>>> better solutions?
>>
>> Does this mean the CommandManager from the Context is gone?
>>
> Yes, at least for 2.2 - for 2.1.x we would have to decide if we remove it.
>
> Are you using it?

Yes, we used the CommandManager in some projects. It is based on the
PooledExecutor from Doug Leas concurrent-utils package. It comes in quite
handy as you can put tasks there you'd like to be done asynchroniously
(ie. indexing a uploaded document with lucene to speed up percieved
performance).

One alternative is that we build up our own CommandManager into the
Context which is piece of cake to do.

--
Giacomo Pati