cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] StringTemplate: The answer to our templating needs?
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 06:43:52 GMT
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Tony Collen wrote:
>

>> Do we need a new, (standardized?) or possibly even *gasp* better
>> templating system for Cocoon?  This is where I encourage people to dive
>> in and give their own [RT]s and thoughts on the issue.
>

> First, thank you for the pointer. Interesting stuff.
>
> But first, we should agree on our needs and then we should choose a
> technology.
> IMO less is more - the templating engine should really focus on presenting
> data. I see following needs:
>
> - really powerful query language to access
> * all kind of objects
> * incl. passed DOM trees
> - control structures like for/each, if, choose
> - call methods on passed objects
> - stream objects (DOM, XMLizable, ...?)
> - and probably a way to define macros (see cForm macros)

Add this:

- works as a Transformer (SAX pipeline)

> Don't know whether we need the possibilty to use xPath expressions on passed
> objects. On one hand it would be helpful, on the other we probably end again
> with two different syntax.

XPath is what we're used to when writing xslt stylesheets. The Java dotted
notation is what we're used to when writing Java code. As the templating
engine will most likely be some xml syntax XPath make IMHO much more sense
to me than dottet notation.

--
Giacomo Pati