cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Persisting SimpleLuceneQuery [Long]
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:42:28 GMT

On 29 Oct 2004, at 13:21, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 29 oct. 04, à 12:41, Jeremy Quinn a écrit :
>
>> ...What I hope to do is to make the Queries persistable in HSQLDB via
>> ORO...
>
> ORO? That's a regexp package, do you mean OJB instead?

Yes <groan> ;)

>> ...I suppose one of the first questions that needs asking before
>> going ahead and making an Apache ORO equivalent to the above, is : is
>> the structure of the SimpleLuceneQuery/SimpleLuceneQueryBean and
>> SimpleLuceneCriterion/SimpleLuceneCriterionBean as good as it needs
>> to be? Can it be improved? Is it easy enough to extend it? Is the
>> Interface overkill? If it is desirable, is it properly done etc.
>> etc...
>
> One simplification in terms of storage might be to edit the query
> criterion as an XML document and store this as a block in the DB (but
> I don't know how hard it is to get from this XML to Lucene criteria
> then).

It would definitely complicate matters.

> It would make the DB model much simpler, and I don't think you're
> running queries on the criterion table anyway, or are you? I imagine
> querying on the user_id, date and name fields only, so I'm not sure if
> the separate criterion table brings something.
>
> Also, considering storage of an XML block keyed by user_id, date and
> name makes it easier to make storage pluggable, allowing file-based
> storage if someone wants it for example.
>
> I don't want to suggest change for the sake of change, but as you're
> asking ;-)

OK ;)

Thanks for this feedback, but I am still not convinced .....

>> ...Should QueryFavourites.js be rewritten in Java? Should it be in
>> the style of a DAO?
>
> Dunno about a DAO but it looks like it should - this is not code that
> is going to change often, and it needs to be robust and tested, so I'd
> move it to java.

It was written in OO JS as an exercise in my getting used to that form
of the language, however, it is now easy to re-code as Java .....

>> ...I guess I need to add a new Block to Cocoon, eek I have never done
>> one !!
>
> It's very easy if you take one of the simplest blocks as a template.

I tried once before, but mierably failed to get it to work, here is my
incentive to try again ;)

>> ...Once again, I would like to express my thanks to Antonio for
>> offering to help with this...
>
> We know he's a nice guy ;-)

+1

thanks