cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Building ECM++ for 2.2
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:48:19 GMT
Il giorno 18/ott/04, alle 14:29, Vadim Gritsenko ha scritto:

> And what is wrong with that approach (of just using it)? Beside
> community issues there were no technical issues which would force us
> to move people out of current component management infrastructure.
> Right?

Personally, I think there are technical issues as well. Developing
components for the Avalon Excalibur platform is much harder that it
should be. There are too many lifecycle interfaces and you're never
sure which ones you should really implement and how. Having components
depend on Avalon interfaces makes reuse harder. Testing is hard. Too
many wheels are reinvented (think logging) but too few "enterprise"
services are provided or effectively merged in the platform
(transactions, for instance). Checked exceptions are the norm and
therefore are widely abused.

Then there are Cocoon-specific issues, which might be a consequence of
using a certain platform, or maybe not. Things like preferring
inheritance over composition, which leads to long inheritance chains,
and (again) abusing checked exceptions.

As we cannot depend on the Avalon community for mending some of these
deficiencies, I heartily applaud Carsten's effort towards bringing that
code inside, so we can at least try fixing them ourselves.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/