cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: problems starting 2.1.6-dev
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:38:46 GMT

On 18 Oct 2004, at 18:27, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>> What about lobbying about changing the silly LGPL allergy that the
>>> ASF has instead? Being a director might help at times, you know,
>>> that's what your (member's) votes were for ;-)
>> Well, Mr Director, IIRC there's a board meeting tomorrow.
>
> Wednesday.
>
>> Should this subject be added to the agenda?
>
> In fact, I'm going to.
>
>> The problem also is that the solution to this problem doesn't depend
>> only on the ASF, but also on the FSF which is the mighty priest that
>> gives the interpretation of the holy license texts.
>
> Not really. It's neither the FSF nor the ASF that decide if a license
> contract is valid or not, it's a judge, in court. In lack of that,
> each one has its own opinion.
>
> My opinion is that the spirit of the LGPL was that "if you add
> functionality to the library, then you should give it back, if you
> just use the library, your code doesn't have to".
>
> What does this translate to java? Pretty simple, in fact: if you
> import a class is fine, if you implement an interface is not.
>
> I would like to change the ASF policy toward the LGPL saying that
> "importing is ok, implementing is not". That means that if you
> implement, your code has to be LGPL, then you can import that. The
> spirit of the LGPL is maintained and the FSF will not have a problem
> with it, IMO.
>
> Now, whether or not the board digests this is yet another issue and
> I'm going to find out soon.

Hi Stefano

I applaud your attempt to get this ridiculous situation sorted out !!!!

However, in this particular case, Pier's code actually implements
Hibernate interfaces:

	public class HibernateCache implements net.sf.hibernate.cache.Cache
	public class HibernateCacheProvider implements
net.sf.hibernate.cache.CacheProvider
	public class HibernateFactory implements
net.sf.hibernate.SessionFactory

So guys, I suspect we still need a cocoondev repo for this, even if
Stefano is successful in what he says above.

Unless that code could be contributed to Hibernate ;)

Good luck anyway !!!

regards Jeremy

                                 IT IS NOT FROM ME

                         Always check the label, folks !!!!!