cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <>
Subject Re: Daisy as CMS: why don't use JDO?
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:07:18 GMT
Il giorno 14/ott/04, alle 11:08, Luca Garulli ha scritto:

> Sorry but I didn't want to start a flame..

I don't see any flamewar starting ;-)

> If you use JDBC you had to develop the Object/Relational mapping for
> your "persistent classes" !!! Let's use JDO and you don't worry about
> OR mapping. Dot.

I agree with the fact that it's better not to use JDBC directly. My GT
presentation even had a slide (borrowed from Rod Johnson) whose title
was "Why you should never use raw JDBC directly". And I couldn't agree
more with the fact that it's *never* a good idea to develop your own
O/R framework in-house.

On the other hand, I use and recommend Hibernate, but I would never
suggest that everyone start using Hibernate now and disregard all the
other alternatives.

WRT "standards", if a standard is what you want, why not use entity
EJBs for persistence? That predates JDO and is much more "standard"
than JDO. I am not sure if there's anyone around who still thinks
entity beans are a good persistence mechanism ;-)

Anyway, I think this was an interesting thread. No annoyance on my
part, really.

Ugo Cei -

View raw message