cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: VMWare host for us @apache.org
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:23:07 GMT
Le 22 oct. 04, à 12:23, David Crossley a écrit :
> ...The docs aspect needs lots of consideration. If Cocoon wants to
> continue using Forrest, then we would like help to implement
> our plans for the Forrestbot and staging server for reviewing
> docs prior to publication....

I think our docs are much better than people generally believe, but
their *accessibility* is the big problem. Having dynamic structured
queries on their content would make all the difference.

Storing the content in a database, or having a structured (meaning
using database-like fields) Lucene index would make all the difference
in the accessibility of the content, allowing for example queries like
"show me documents which talk about sitemap and matchers at the
configuration level".

Such queries can be hidden behind links so that the docs
"auto-organize" provided the appropriate attributes (topic, audience,
document role, etc.) are set on the documents, in an iterative process
for existing docs.

What's needed IMHO is the "big bag of docs with powerful search
functions" that we talked about before
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=106586497031048&w=2
for example).

If we agree on this, the next step would be to evaluate Forrest against
our needs and find out the simplest thing that would work. Maybe
Forrest using a live SVN repository, live Lucene indexing and mod_cache
in front would be all what we need?

-Bertrand