cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From peter royal <peter.ro...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: whirlycache implementation of Store
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:59:54 GMT
On Oct 8, 2004, at 3:43 PM, WHIRLYCOTT wrote:
> I'm one of the authors of Whirlycache
> (http://whirlycache.dev.java.net/) and I'm looking at providing a
> Store implementation so that it can be used in Cocoon.  Is it correct
> that the only interface that we need to implement is
> org.apache.excalibur.store.Store?
>
> Any other thoughts on this would be welcome.

One thing that would be beneficial for Cocoon would be to change the
singleton nature of CacheManager.

I would turn CacheManager into a regular class that can have its
configuration passed in (as either the parsed Map or a custom object to
hold the configuration).

Then Cocoon can load the CacheManaager as a component (and integrate
configuration into cocoon.xconf w/o having to put configuration in a
separate file).

The Store implementation would then depend upon the CacheManager and
just load a named cache.

To preserve the existing behavior, I'd suggest a SingletonCacheManager
implementation that does the existing behavior of loading a
configuration file from the classpath.

It might also be useful to remove the dependency upon commons-logging
and use a monitor approach
(http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonNoLogging).

If changes like this are amiable to the Whirlycache team, I'd be more
than willing to develop patches.
-pete