cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Keep Commons Validator (was Re: svn commit: rev 54668 - cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/lib)
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:27:36 GMT
Il giorno 12/ott/04, alle 14:33, bdelacretaz@apache.org ha scritto:

> set correct commons-validator-1.1.3.jar path (did the guy who's on
> stage now mess up? ;-)

You bet! But the error slipped by because I had to disable jars
validation because of another library that had broken it just a few
minutes before ;-)

Anyway, while we're at it, some people *rightfully* pointed out that I
shouldn't have added just another dependency only to validate email
addresses in CForms. Well, for one thing, at least email addresses
validate correctly now, which wasn't the case before. Besides,
Commons-validator might be useful elsewhere and it's just 84k. And I
was so nice as to write a handful of testcases for it, so should
Validator break in a future release, we could be able to catch it
early.

On the other hand, I do share those guys' concern over dependencies, so
I'd like to ask for the developers' opinions before deciding whether to
keep or to remove it. As I see it, we have two options:

1. [ ] Rip the necessary code from Commons validator and drop it into
the email validation rule of CForms (shouldn't be more than a few lines
of code, hopefully).
2. [ ] Keep it on the assumption that we will use it for something else.
3. [ ] Anything else?

Please cast your votes or at least tell me what you think.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/