cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] doco lite?
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:46:36 GMT
Recent discussions here, along with David's "ASF-wide documentation
staging and publishing" post to infrastructure@ made me think about
this, in a "there must be an easier way" mood. I'm not ready to discuss
this on  infrastructure@ though, it feels safer here ATM ;-)

The apparently realistic possibility of having a live instance of
Cocoon could make it much easier to handle our docs and website, and
unless I'm overlooking something important the concept described below
seems really simple to implement. So I cannot refrain from sharing this
idea, although I have no code to back it up yet...

GOALS
G1. Generate our docs and website dynamically, directly from the SVN
repository accessed over http
G2. Give access to older versions of the docs using standard SVN
mechanisms (tags etc)
G3. Index the latest version of the docs, including structured fields
(keywords, target audience, components mentioned, etc), to implement
"prepared queries" (as links, simply) to improve our docs'
accessibility

TOOLS / TECHNIQUES
T1. Get content from SVN, editing is considered a separate problem

T2. Build an index with Lucene, triggered via SVN post-commit hooks,
uses a live Cocoon instance to generate an easy to index XML document
for Lucene. Include metadata fields as mentioned in G2 above, generated
from (enhanced as compared to now) document content

T3. Generate pages using a live Cocoon instance, maybe Forrest. SVN
tags "pass through" the URLs to give access to older releases of the
docs.

T4. Use queries like "find all documents which talk about sitemap
matchers" to build navigation pages semi-automatically.

T5. Put mod_cache in front to minimize server load (HTTP POST can be
used to invalidate pages if quick updates are needed to check edits).

WDYT?

-Bertrand