cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: [Heads up] Change to build system in 2.1.x
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:05:57 GMT

On 30-okt-04, at 19:29, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Ugo Cei wrote:
>
>> Il giorno 25/ott/04, alle 19:14, Unico Hommes ha scritto:
>>> I've completed the changes to the build system discussed earlier
>>> [1]. In order to do so I have extended the gump descriptor with
>>> additional information that allows the build system to locate one or
>>> more dependency jars per <depend> project within ./lib/optional. See
>>> for an example the cocoon-block-axis project definition in gump.xml
>>>
>>> Every block now *must* declare all the dependencies it requires to
>>> compile in gump.xml just in order for it to build properly.
>> Looks like this is not a backward-compatible change. Blocks which are
>> distributed outside of Cocoon (like Fins or my Spring Petstore) must
>> change their deployment instructions to add all those <depend>
>> elements (and put dependencies in gump too, which wasn't required
>> before, even though it might have been good practice).
>> Shouldn't we make this change in trunk only and leave 2.1 as is?
>
> yes, this is a pretty big obstacle for a simple bugfix release. The
> block build system *is* not an aPI but it's a contract and we must
> honor them.

When I was working on this I didn't realize this would be an
incompatible change, or even that compatibility concerns also affected
our build system. In all fairness I think you have a good point.

Rather than undoing all the changes (would make me really feel bad
about the wasted time I invested :-) I think it is no problem to
provide compatibility. I think that all that is needed is that
block/lib is added to the block compilation classpath and that those
libraries are also copied to WEB-INF/lib.

WDYT?

--
Unico