cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: problems starting 2.1.6-dev
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:14:05 GMT
Il giorno 18/ott/04, alle 08:45, Niclas Hedhman ha scritto:

>> No one has ever demonstrated that doing an "import" on classes that
>> are
>> under the LGPL obliges you to license your code under the (L)GPL.
>
> The FSF and ASF legal counsel have both said it does.

Really? My understanding of this is that the issue is still open:

"As FSF has not yet clarified/answered questions with regard to this,
nor has the LGPL been updated to clarify such - the murkyness around
this makes us do the 'safe' thing; which is to avoid it for the time
beeing."

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Licensing

" LGPL 	 No 	 No 	 The LGPL's intent is that it could be usable, but
the legalese is too poor"

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/LicenceIssues

>> I'd use the Apache license without fear in this case (as a
>> matter of fact, I do).
>
> That is of course your perogative, and I am sure I have violated, or
> potentially violated, the (L)GPL as well at times, but one should be
> more
> concerned when a larger community is at stake.

We're talking about cocoondev.org or other repositories, not the ASF,
here. Cocoondev.org was created also with the intent of hosting code
that imports LGPL code.

Just to be crystal clear: what I meant to say is that if you, as
individual developer, decide to do an "import net.sf.hibernate.*" in a
Java source file, you can still put an APL header on top of your source
file (as long as you don't put that file in an ASF repo). Since your
(and Hibernate developers') take on this is a matter of opinion, yours
is as valid as anyone else's, until the matter is resolved in court,
eventually.

Of course, if Microsoft decides to sue you on behalf of the original
copyright holder, that it's your problem.

IANAL

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/