cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Implementation of the Continuations checker
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:42:42 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Ok, let's see what we have: Cocoon is not using the Event package
> at all, apart from the continuations checker which can be implemented
> in just a few lines - I did this for 2.2 - apart from that Cocoon does
> not need it.
>
> There are people out there who might be using this package for their
> own projects - so we can:
> a) keep it to support possible users although we don't need it. Keeping
>    it might be a little bit difficult as it's already deprecated and the
>    future is unknown.
> b) replace it with something else, users have to migrate and we
>    then support the users although we don't need it.
> c) remove it and if a user needs it she can add it as her own
>    component and use it.
> <HINT>this is not a vote</HINT>
> Don't know which is best, but I tend to option c) in this case.

Right now, we could go with c).

But there are several places which require event package in Cocoon right now,
beside continuations manager. Let's list all of them, and their requirements,
right here:

  * Continuation manager.
    Need to execute single task periodically.
  * Store janitor.
    Need to execute single task periodically.
  * DefaultIncludeCacheManager.
    Need to execute single task immideately, only once.
    Need to execute multiple tasks immideately, only once.
  * IncludeTransformer.
    Need to execute multiple tasks immideately, only once.

In short, each time you see "new Thread()", "extends Thread" code in Cocoon
codebase, it means this code needs to be refactored, probably by using events
package or similar.

Given the above, in the long run, we should go for b).

Vadim