cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: [RT] StringTemplate: The answer to our templating needs?
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:55:12 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>XPath is a must-have when you deal with XML documents while
>>Jexl is mostly useless in that case but is straightforward
>>when you deal with JavaBeans. I also agree that understanding
>>the difference between "${continuation.id}" and
>>"#{$continuation/id}" is less than evident.
>>
>>So what about a unified syntax for expansion tokens, within
>>which different languages could be used. Example:
>>- ${continuation.id} // Jexl, default syntax
>>- ${xpath:$continuation/id} // xpath
>>- ${im:defaults:skin} // input-module
>>- ${ognl:$continuation.id} // OGNL [1]
>>

> Hmm, one of the things I really don't like with JXTG is that you
> have to different expression languages. You never know which to
> use and some things work only with one specific language.
> And for me this comes near to FS :)
And if there are language constructs that are not possible to implement with
JXPath and JavaBeans? And I am sure there are (I had some problems myself but
shoot me in the head: I do not remember the exact cases). Should we be saying
to users: "it does not work with JXPath, still it would with Jext, since we
dropped jexl officialy you have to plug it back in yourself"?