cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Re: [RT] StringTemplate: The answer to our templating needs?
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 06:21:42 GMT
Tony Collen wrote:

> Do we need a new, (standardized?) or possibly even *gasp* better
> templating system for Cocoon?  This is where I encourage people to dive
> in and give their own [RT]s and thoughts on the issue.

First, thank you for the pointer. Interesting stuff.

But first, we should agree on our needs and then we should choose a technology.
IMO less is more - the templating engine should really focus on presenting data.
I see following needs:

  - really powerful query language to access
    * all kind of objects
    * incl. passed DOM trees
  - control structures like for/each, if, choose
  - call methods on passed objects
  - stream objects (DOM, XMLizable, ...?)
  - and probably a way to define macros (see cForm macros)

Don't know whether we need the possibilty to use xPath expressions on passed
objects. On one hand it would be helpful, on the other we probably end again
with two different syntax.

View raw message