cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] New Block building system
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:07:18 GMT

Because of my two or three commit messages this afternoon you might have seen
that I started with a prototyp (currently a proof of concept) for a new Block
build system. As some of you know, I'm not really satisfied with the existing
one, especially it's not possible to deal with blocks as independant units.

How can you try it:

Checkout http(s)://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/block-builder.
Make sure, that when you call the ant script, the property and blockbuilder.root
is available. The easiest way is adding a file with the name
"local.block.build.properties" to the root directory of the block.

The content of local.block.build.properties could look like this (because of the
relative path it sould work at all workstations):

{{{
# ---- BlockBuilder -------------------------------------------------------------

blockbuilder.root=../../../../dev

}}}

Then you can call one of the Ant tasks (e.g. ant compile).

More information and explanations can be found at
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonBlockBuilder

IMO the new build system would be a very useful change but I don't want to
continue (and possibly waste my time) without feedback whether we want to go
this way.

Comments?

--
Reinhard