cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [Heads up] Change to build system in 2.1.x
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:39:09 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Two points;
>>
>>  * Gump is about continuous integration, i.e. always trunk, right?
>

> so far ;-)
>
>>    And our build does not need version information too. Then,
>>    who needs it?
>

> My idea is the following: gump should be *both* a build system and a
> continous integration system. It should build your project in two phases:
>
>  1) run against the dependencies with the versions you specify (since
> they will never change, they can be built once and their packages kept
> in place forever). If broken send nightly build error and stop.
>
>  2) if nightly built was successful, perform continous integration by
> running against the latest and greatest. If broken, send continous
> integration warning and stop.

Ok.

>>  * gump.xml currently does not record dependency on antlr. Do you think
>>    it should be added?
>
> yep.

Ok. Hope gump has all these projects in place already. (and where is decent gump
web site? One I saw at http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/ provides almost no
information comparing to old gump).

>> Another issue is that dependency project name might not match library
>> name...
>
> well, that's your concern only if you specify the version (and, even in
> this case, it's enough to create a mapping between a version and a
> tag/timestamp).
>
> If you specify a timestamp or a tag, gump can figure it out by itself
> since it has all the metadata it needs to figure out where the builds
> write their jars and how they name them.

We were talking about our own build and how it finds libraries, not gump... So
we should have library name prefix somewhere in case it does not match project
name. Or if project produces several libraries...

And for our build, timestamp or version do not matter, as in ant we use
<include/> filters with "*" wildcard.

Vadim