cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HtmlCleaningConvertor
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:53:37 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 18:38 +0200, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>While browsing Daisy I saw a very interesting cForms extension in Daisy: the
>>HtmlCleaningConvertor. Are there any plans to move it to Cocoon?
>

> Didn't think of that yet. Keeping it with Daisy would make it follow
> Daisy releases, which is somewhat easier for us at this stage.
>
> You also have to know that the htmlcleaner is quite strict, in that it
> drops all elements and attributes that are not explicitely allowed
> (configurable using an XML file), which is exactly what we wanted for
> Daisy, but might be different for other use-cases.
>

>> I think this
>>could be valuable for many other users.
>

> Nothing prevents reuse of course. The htmlcleaner is an independent
> library, bundled in its own jar, with minimal dependencies
> (nekohtml/nekodtd, which in itself requires xerces). The
> HtmlCleaningConvertor and HtmlCleaningConvertorBuilder classes that do
> the integration with Cocoon would need to be copied to your own project.
>
> Another possibility would be to just move those last two classes to
> Cocoon, and add the daisy-htmlcleaner.jar as an external dependency to
> cforms.

IIUC you mean that the HtmlCleaningConvertor and HtmlCleaningConvertorBuilder
are moved to Cocoon and are deleted in Daisy. The HtmlCleaner.jar with the code
actually doing the cleaning stays (at least for now) at Daisy. If this is no
problem for you, I would really appreciate it, as I think it could be a very
useful extension for Cocoon.

One question to the "strict" cleaning. IIRC Steven's presentation you use
HtmlArea at the client. So I guess that the HtmlCleaner is in some way optimized
(at least testet) with it and it should work fine with it. I mean that it
doesn't swallow some parts of the user's HtmlArea input, does it?

--
Reinhard