cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] doco lite?
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:34:53 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 26 oct. 04, à 21:20, Upayavira a écrit :
>
>> ...The thing you seem to have missed is the staging process. If I
>> have written an xdoc, I want to see that as HTML, on a staging
>> server, before I actually publish it. After all, the XML might not
>> even be valid, or there might be mistakes. I need to be able to see
>> the page on the site before I publish it...
>

> How about using SVN tags for this?
>
> -Current known good version of the docs is always tagged as
> "current-docs"
> -Website serves this tagged version on the public site
> -New docs releases are done by moving this tag to the appropriate
> revision (I didn't try moving tags in SVN yet but it shouldn't be a
> problem)
>
> Then you'd use the current release for the staging process, and update
> the public version by moving the SVN tag.

So you'd use HEAD or whatever to view the latest commit, and the public
would see the "current-docs" tag. That could work. But would we want the
HEAD to be password protected, or in some way hidden so that it doesn't
get regularly viewed when it isn't live yet? I like the idea of being
able to tag the docs whenever we release. If we can get the available
tags for a document from SVN, we could have a dropdown that allows you
to see the docs for a specific version, which would be absolutely
fantastic. That would solve soooooo many problems.

So, when do you start?

Regards, Upayavira