cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] doco lite?
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:20:21 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Recent discussions here, along with David's "ASF-wide documentation
> staging and publishing" post to infrastructure@ made me think about
> this, in a "there must be an easier way" mood. I'm not ready to
> discuss this on  infrastructure@ though, it feels safer here ATM ;-)
>
> The apparently realistic possibility of having a live instance of
> Cocoon could make it much easier to handle our docs and website, and
> unless I'm overlooking something important the concept described below
> seems really simple to implement. So I cannot refrain from sharing
> this idea, although I have no code to back it up yet...
>
> GOALS
> G1. Generate our docs and website dynamically, directly from the SVN
> repository accessed over http
> G2. Give access to older versions of the docs using standard SVN
> mechanisms (tags etc)
> G3. Index the latest version of the docs, including structured fields
> (keywords, target audience, components mentioned, etc), to implement
> "prepared queries" (as links, simply) to improve our docs' accessibility
>
> TOOLS / TECHNIQUES
> T1. Get content from SVN, editing is considered a separate problem
>
> T2. Build an index with Lucene, triggered via SVN post-commit hooks,
> uses a live Cocoon instance to generate an easy to index XML document
> for Lucene. Include metadata fields as mentioned in G2 above,
> generated from (enhanced as compared to now) document content
>
> T3. Generate pages using a live Cocoon instance, maybe Forrest. SVN
> tags "pass through" the URLs to give access to older releases of the
> docs.
>
> T4. Use queries like "find all documents which talk about sitemap
> matchers" to build navigation pages semi-automatically.
>
> T5. Put mod_cache in front to minimize server load (HTTP POST can be
> used to invalidate pages if quick updates are needed to check edits).
>
> WDYT?

The thing you seem to have missed is the staging process. If I have
written an xdoc, I want to see that as HTML, on a staging server, before
I actually publish it. After all, the XML might not even be valid, or
there might be mistakes. I need to be able to see the page on the site
before I publish it.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Upayavira