cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: VMWare host for us @apache.org
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:37:45 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>>Upayavira wrote:

>>>I think this is the sort of thing I was referring to. If we can clarify
>>>what we have in mind, and get a number of us behind it, then I could see
>>>it as being possible.
>>>
>>>But there's a lot to clarify/understand. Would you be willing to explain
>>>here what you had in mind for your Forrestbot setup? Presumably this
>>>setup would still use CVS/SVN as the versioning system for the actual
>>>xdoc files?
>>
>>Yes it does.
>>
>>Well i will try. It is a big task. Did anyone see the
>>infrastructure@ discussion to which i refer. It was not
>>just about "forrestbot", rather the whole situation of
>>publishing of documentation at Apache. There are
>>so many aspects: oversight of content, staging, workflow,
>>recoverability, quick turnaround, secure access,
>>Forrestbot, Lenya, Doco, ...
>>
>>The thread finished with the feeling that we had solutions,
>>just in need of implementation.
>>
>>Anyway, going off to dig through mail archives again ...
>

> ... back to the surface.
>
> I have summarised that previous discussion from
> Infrastructure@a.o and built two proposal documents.
> These are at the Forrest website.
>
> Draft: Proposal for ASF-wide documentation staging and publishing
> http://forrest.apache.org/proposal-asf-publish.html
> This draws together various past discussions to address
> the diverse issues with documentation publishing at apache.org

With respect to the following "scratch note" in the above document:

Noel: We need to accommodate sites that come from a single source,
and sites that come from multiple sources,
e.g. Jakarta or the XML Federation.

A recent plugin for Forrest allows sites to use an IMS Manifest to
define their structure, one of the main advantages of using this method
over the existing method (which remains the default method) is that it
allows a site to include other sites within their own site. That is,
each subproject in Jakarta/XML would maintain their site independently
of the main Jakarta/XML site. These "sub-sites" can be built
independently of the main Jakarta/XML site for local testing purposes.

How will this impact the building process described in the above document?

Stages A through G will be unaffected. Each individual site would have
its own staging area, hence there is no need to build the whole Jakarta
or XML site in order to review minor changes in one of the sub sites.
The main site can also be staged in the way described in the document.

Actions in stages H and I would depend on how the main site was built
and the changes that have been made.

If the main site simply links to the subsites (as is currently the case)
then this site will only need to be rebuilt when such a link is updated,
or the contents of the main site are updated.

However, using this new plugin it is possible to have the menus for the
sub-sites appear as collapsible menus in the main site. In this case the
main site will need to be rebuilt whenever the structure of a subsite
changes (i.e. a new page is added).

If changes to subsites are minor (text changes in a page for example),
then only the sub-site need be published.

CAVEAT: This forrest plugin is currently in alpha. It is not even in SVN
yet (pending a restructure of SVN to accommodate the new plugin
functionality of Forrest). As author of the plugin I can assure you that
I will assist in any changes required to meet the requirements of the
ASF (I need similar functionality in the project this came from anyway).

Ross