cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Heads up] Change to build system in 2.1.x
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:05:49 GMT
We really gotta start thinking about our build system and gump integration.

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Unico Hommes wrote:
>
>> I've completed the changes to the build system discussed earlier [1].
>> In order to do so I have extended the gump descriptor with additional
>> information that allows the build system to locate one or more
>> dependency jars per <depend> project within ./lib/optional. See for an
>> example the cocoon-block-axis project definition in gump.xml
>>
>> Every block now *must* declare all the dependencies it requires to
>> compile in gump.xml just in order for it to build properly.
>>
>> Since I am not very familiar with gump.xml and I had to add a lot of
>> information it is very probable that I made a mistake or two with the
>> way local projects are declared.
>

> I thought you'll add <libary/> element which would be independent of
> <depend/> element and thus avoid any possible conflicts with Gump. But
> now I see that you'd added bunch of new <depend/> elements - which are
> not currently required by Gump - I don't think we should do that.
>
> I'd sleep better if instead of:
>
> +    <depend project="db-ojb"/>
> +    <depend project="antlr"/>
> +    <depend project="commons-dbcp"/>
> +    <depend project="commons-pool"/>
>
> We'd have:
>
> +    <library project="db-ojb"/>
> +    <library project="antlr"/>
> +    <library project="commons-dbcp"/>
> +    <library project="commons-pool"/>

this will make our descriptor being invalid, but since I control the
DTDs we can change that on the other hand.

but there is something that bothers me: the above really doesn't make
any sense. What would be a lot more useful would be something like

  <depend project="antlr" version="1.0"/>

or

  <depend project="antlr" timestamp="20040349"/>

or

  <depend project="antlr" tag="V1_0_RELEASE"/>

then it would be up to gump to give you the version you want (and we
might indicate what versions we expose in our gump.xml description).

Thoughts?

--
Stefano.