cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Remove excalibur instrumentation support from 2.2
Date Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:09:45 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>The ECM++ is now integrated in 2.2 and it seems that most things
>are running again - even simple XSP pages (haven't tested more yet).
>
>Now, as I mentioned earlier, one idea of ECM++ is to support only those
>interfaces/features that we really need.
>
>One candidate in this category is obviously the instrumentation
>support - the current version of ECM++ doesn't support it.
>
>I think we should remove the support for excalibur instrumentation
>completly from our 2.2 code base, because:
>- only one single class in our whole repository is using instrumentation
>  (the continuation manager)
>- instrumentation can be seen as a proprietary solution that noone else is
>using

Just like Giacomo, I think people have not seen the good things it can
bring. For example, I added instrumentation support to the store system
when I refactored it, and found it incredibly useful to find good values
for the "max-object" setting. Unfortunately this has been trashed with
the new JCS/EH cache systems, but hey, that was useful.

Problem is that instrumentation was a cool but totally hidden feature
(who knows about "build start-instrumentation-client"?), and that
Excalibur is using it way too much, making component-defined instruments
hard to find throughout all container-related instruments.

Anyway...

>- when we will have real blocks we will need other instrumentation
>mechanisms anyway as we don't want to depend on excalibur in this case. So
>migrating earlier is better.

Yup. I have hopes that JMX can be a good replacement, even more
considering the new "Java console" in JDK 1.5^H^H^H5.0.

So +0.5 (meaning we must cut dependencies, but we loose something until
we have found a replacement)

Sylvain