cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: VMWare host for us @apache.org
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:16:14 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>Upayavira wrote:
>

>>Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>>If it's debian I'm willing to help setup and co-administer such a
>>>machine. Could also help with other distros but it's really debian
>>>that I know the best, and apt-get is a big plus assuming the admin
>>>would be shared between several people.
>>>

>>Me too (debian that is).
>>

>Sounds like the way to me too.
>
>So i gather that you are saying that we, Cocoon,
>need a group of us who are committed to maintain
>the operating system and supporting applications.
>I am keen to help and learn.
>
>A while ago there was another option discussed:
>moof.apache.org
>http://www.apache.org/dev/machines.html#moof
>Mac OS X 10.3 Server
>... AFAIK nobody yet took up the offer of running apps there.
>There is an old gump there still.
>http://moof.apache.org:8080/gump/
>
>Also we didn't yet investigate Stefano's suggestion of
>sharing brutus with Apache Gump.

While we can start thinking about where to host, I think we've first got
to clarify what we want to host. As yet, I've only as yet got a vague
idea of what we want - "a machine to run Cocoon, possibly doing its
docs". What does that actually mean? What would we install? How would we
do docs? Is it pure Cocoon, or Forrest? If Forrest, what about Cocoon
samples? Will we want additional mini webapps? What sort of things? Etc,
etc, etc. I think we should get these things sorted before we mention
anything to infrastructure, in order for our case to sound convincing.

>>>Having our own live Cocoon instance(s) could make all the difference
>>>in the way we do our docs, so if there's an opportunity I think we
>>>should make it happen.
>>>

>Interesting co-incidence. We just started talking about
>this again yesterday at Forrest. We had shelved plans
>for live webapp and forrestbot until infrastructure
>was more ready. Looking better soon.

Interesting.

>>How much access these machines can handle I don't know - i.e.
>>infrastructure maintain minotaur at a level that can handle all of our
>>HTTP access to cocoon.apache.org. Whether a VM could handle hosting
>>cocoon.apache.org, I don't know. But if we stuck Apache with mod_cache
>>in front, who knows?
>>

>Sounds like part of that discussion should happen over there.

I think we need to start here, with a discussion on what we want to host.