cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: [cron block] dependency question
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:25:45 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Unico Hommes wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>

>> 2. Move blocks to one location. /repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/blocks?
>

> yes
>

>> 3. Separate blocks build system from core build system and let one
>> drive the other.
>>

>> Comments?
>

> Some thoughts I want to share:
>
> goal: move towards real blocks - do as much work that can be reused later
>
> - each block has its own build system

IIRC, Nicola already started an effort for an updated build system that
features an individual build file for each block separately. I wonder
what happened to that and whether it is useable already.

> - each block has a public and a private directory

What does that do?

> - each block has a deployment descriptor:
>   * list of blocks that are necessary to make them compile/run
>   * list of blocks that are necessary at runtime
>     (e.g. forms needs xsp because of the examples)
>   * list of all libraries
>     (all libraries are in a single Cocoon library repository
>      and this way we can make sure that we don't end at jar hell
>      --> real block and their shielding will finally solve this)
>   --> create gump file
>   --> create eclipse/idea project files
> - each block only depends on
>   - cocoon core
>   - public sources of other blocks

This is the same file as blocks.xml for real blocks right?

> a complete build runs through following steps:
>
> - compile Cocoon core
> - one build task that compiles all public directories
>   at once (or can we make sure that there are no
>   circular dependencies, which should be avoided of
>   course)
> - compile each block separatly
> - create web application
> - deploy each block separatly
>   - copy samples
>   - patch configuration files
>
> but of course only a single block can be deployed too
>
> It's probably a lot of work but sooner or later we have to do it
> anyway, so why should we suffer from our build system and a gigantic
> eclipse project any longer

For splitting the eclipse project there is an additional requirement
that blocks and core directory don't overlap. Eclipse cannot deal with
overlapping projects. So that would mean that the 2.2 core move to
/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/core .

--
Unico