cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Re: [cron block] dependency question
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:05:23 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> 2. Move blocks to one location. /repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/blocks?

> 3. Separate blocks build system from core build system and let one drive
> the other.
> Comments?

Some thoughts I want to share:

goal: move towards real blocks - do as much work that can be reused later

- each block has its own build system
- each block has a public and a private directory
- each block has a deployment descriptor:
   * list of blocks that are necessary to make them compile/run
   * list of blocks that are necessary at runtime
     (e.g. forms needs xsp because of the examples)
   * list of all libraries
     (all libraries are in a single Cocoon library repository
      and this way we can make sure that we don't end at jar hell
      --> real block and their shielding will finally solve this)
   --> create gump file
   --> create eclipse/idea project files
- each block only depends on
   - cocoon core
   - public sources of other blocks

a complete build runs through following steps:

- compile Cocoon core
- one build task that compiles all public directories
   at once (or can we make sure that there are no
   circular dependencies, which should be avoided of
- compile each block separatly
- create web application
- deploy each block separatly
   - copy samples
   - patch configuration files

but of course only a single block can be deployed too

It's probably a lot of work but sooner or later we have to do it anyway, so why
should we suffer from our build system and a gigantic eclipse project any longer

View raw message