cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Link Livesites: Cocoon 2.1.5
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:45:35 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> wrote:
>> True! However, if there is a form to be filled in, some questions will be
>> answered beforehand, thus eliminating several mails back and forth.
>> Some of the questions: - how can I see that Cocoon was used?
>> - why did you use Cocoon? - how much time did the project take?
>> - how many members did the project team have?
> Hi Helma,
> You asked previously about what it would take for us to be able to run
> Cocoon on Apache hardware. At the moment, Apache has something like six
> machines, and these are guarded (quite rightly) fiercely by the
> intrastructure team, in order to keep them suitably secure.
> There are a lot of projects that would like to have access to Apache
> hardware, whether for hosting, or for build/test cycles. In part, as a
> way to cater for this, the infrastructure team is building a couple of
> those machines to run VMWare ESX - thus they can host multiple operating
> systems on each machine. ESX is working, but they need to get more
> HDD/memory for it to handle more VMs. If we have needs for running our
> own stuff, e.g. having the latest Cocoon samples usable from the Cocoon
> website, we should make a request to the infrastructure team for a VM
> for ourselves, as soon as they have done the necessary hardware upgrades.
> This would of course require us to choose an OS/distribution (never easy
> in a diverse community!) and then to maintain it.
> Are people interested in pursuing this?
> In the meantime, using our existing mechanisms, we should do as Antonio
> suggested - improve the notes on the livesites page, stating: Put an
> entry entitled [LINK] Blah into bugzilla, and answer these questions. If
> you don't answer them, your request will not be considered.
> Or something like that. What do you think?

FYI, I have root access on (the machine that runs
gump) and we could start to proxy_pass from on to brutus.

The machine is a dual xeon, 4Gb of ram, SCSI disks, runs JDK 1.4.2 and
has a MySQL database installed.

The machine is considered "not highly secure" by infra@ since it
executes code that we don't control. If we can live with that low
security, we can route around infra@ concerns and move on.

View raw message