cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: [cron block] dependency question
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:28:18 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>

>>Just an idea; can we move ALL libraries to lib/optional, and
>>copy them into the WEB-INF/lib on as-needed basis, i.e. if
>>block included which needs a library, only then librariy is
>>copied over? This should be possible using the info from gump.xml...
>>
>>This way we could eliminate several pseudo dependencies like this.
>>

>Yes, this has been discussed several times and I think as well this
>is the easiest solution. But upto now noone had time to implement it :(

Ok ok, I get the hint ;-) But before I decide to do any work there is
another issue with the blocks build system I'm dying to resolve. What
about having only one repository location for blocks? I am so tired of
all the duplicate effort we have to do for each and every change to
blocks. It shouldn't be neccessary.

There probably isn't a small amount of work involved to get it working
but I'd like to know exactly what it would take to byte this bullet.
Some of the steps involved that I can distinguish are:

1. Merge/sync the current 2.1.x and 2.2 blocks.What blocks have the
biggest differences between their 2.1.x and 2.2 copy? If there are
unresolvable differerences, how to handle that? Have separate source
locations for different versions in conflicting blocks? Define Cocoon
target versions for individual blocks in gump.xml?

2. Move blocks to one location. /repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/blocks?

3. Separate blocks build system from core build system and let one drive
the other.

Comments?

--
Unico