cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Link Livesites: Cocoon 2.1.5
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:54:49 GMT
H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:

>True! However, if there is a form to be filled in, some questions will be
>answered beforehand, thus eliminating several mails back and forth.
>
>Some of the questions:
>- how can I see that Cocoon was used?
>- why did you use Cocoon?
>- how much time did the project take?
>- how many members did the project team have?

Hi Helma,

You asked previously about what it would take for us to be able to run
Cocoon on Apache hardware. At the moment, Apache has something like six
machines, and these are guarded (quite rightly) fiercely by the
intrastructure team, in order to keep them suitably secure.

There are a lot of projects that would like to have access to Apache
hardware, whether for hosting, or for build/test cycles. In part, as a
way to cater for this, the infrastructure team is building a couple of
those machines to run VMWare ESX - thus they can host multiple operating
systems on each machine. ESX is working, but they need to get more
HDD/memory for it to handle more VMs. If we have needs for running our
own stuff, e.g. having the latest Cocoon samples usable from the Cocoon
website, we should make a request to the infrastructure team for a VM
for ourselves, as soon as they have done the necessary hardware upgrades.

This would of course require us to choose an OS/distribution (never easy
in a diverse community!) and then to maintain it.

Are people interested in pursuing this?

In the meantime, using our existing mechanisms, we should do as Antonio
suggested - improve the notes on the livesites page, stating: Put an
entry entitled [LINK] Blah into bugzilla, and answer these questions. If
you don't answer them, your request will not be considered.

Or something like that. What do you think?

Regards, Upayavira