cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] applying SoC on cocoon itself
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:46:43 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>> We already have this src="" attribute which currently is a raw
>> string. Does this mean that we will enforce the contract on this by
>> explicitely stating that it's a URI that will be resolved in the
>> local context where the instruction is written?
>>
>> We have to check if all of our current components use src as an URI.
>>

> I've often thought that the signature of the setup() method was wrong.
> The src parameter is passed as a String, the component is free to
> interpret it as anything it wishes. But I think this parameter was
> really only meant to ever be interpreted as a Source object. So
> instead of setup(SourceResolver resolver, Map om, String src,
> Parameters pars) the method should be setup(Source source, Map om,
> Parameters pars). That also unambiguously defines the meaning of the
> src attribute.

Agree. But this parameter has been underspecified for so long that it
may well be the case that some people use it as a row string.

>> Mmhh... what if other parameters are also URIs?
>

> Easy. There is no way for a sitemap to interpret it as anything but a
> plain string. If a component wants to interpret it as a Source it uses
> its SourceResolver.

Sure.

> We'll have a special Source protocol that allows to get FileSources
> relative to the calling sitemap.

Er... what is the "calling sitemap" when there's a chain involving
several sitemap, e.g. in a virtual component defined in a parent sitemap
that has been called through a block? IMO, an absolutizer input module
is better suited as it is evaluated at sitemap execution time (and thus
in the context of that sitemap) whereas we don't know when a component
will decide to use the SourceResolver to get a Source object from a String.

Sylvain