cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] applying SoC on cocoon itself
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:24:01 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip/>

> and this solves *ALSO* the issue that was identified at the GT about
> "virtual pipeline components" resolving services locally or remotely
> (block-wise).

The current problem with VPCs is the context in which relative URIs must
be resolved. We have not found a good solution for this as that depends
on the point of view that is considered. What we're missing actually is
the notion of "typed parameter" that would allow us to absolutize a URI
at the closest point where we can determine that it is a URI and not a
raw string.

> it would finally introduce a real "pipeline level" polimorphism that
> will allow the creation of real blocks.

Ok, I understand all this and actually this is nothing new compared to
what's already been discussed regarding pipeline services, blocks and
virtual sitemap components. Just that we forgot a bit with all the
classloader shielding and pojo stuff what the actual goal was.

But still, I don't understand the pattern in "name" in <map:transformer
name="blah/*" uri="..."/>. Does this mean you create a whole space of
transformation services, i.e. blah/a, blah/b, blah/c, etc? IMO, the
service names must be a discrete enumeration, i.e.
  <map:transform name="blah" uri="http://my/blah/pipeline/service/uri"/>

Actually, I don't see much difference between pipeline services and
VPCs: pipeline services may simply be the generalization of VPCs looked
up in the current sitemap, ancestor sitemaps or remote blocks ("remote"
meaning in a different block and not on a remote machine).

WDYT?

Sylvain