cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Building ECM++ for 2.2
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:13:48 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>The following idea came to my mind during the weekend. All the
>recent discussions about a new core/container etc. show that
>a possible future version of Cocoon will have a different
>component handling than we have now.
>
>One major concern for me is compatibility. It would be bad
>if someone had to rewrite his complete application just to
>update from one version of Cocoon to another. I guess we
>all agree on this. Now reaching this goal can be done
>from two sides:
>a) The new version can have a compatibility layer.
>b) We can provide a smooth transition from version to version.
>
>It would be ideal if we would have both. But with a compatibility
>layer people tend to just use it without migrating their app.

<snip/>

As long as the compatibility layer remains, I don't see what invites
people to migrate to new features. Is it just because new features will
be available? Then having them because of an updated old container or
because of a newer one with a legacy layer isn't very different in this
regard, except that new features are readily available in the second case.

That's why I'm in favor of adding a legacy layer to something new. I
started the avalonization of Spring a few hours ago and the more I dig,
the more the technical issues I felt I would hit disappear one after the
other. I have to stop for now as I have some urgent work to do for
tomorrow (a new training), but that's definitely the way I want to go
instead of adding new features on top of an old thing.

Sylvain