cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira>
Subject Re: problems starting 2.1.6-dev
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:11:37 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> <snip/>
>> Instead of creating yet-another-small-project at (like
>> my own CVSSource), what about creating a general-purpose project that
>> would host all interesting cocoon-releated things we cannot host at
>> the ASF because of license problems?
>> Instead of having a collection of small one-man shows that sleep in
>> their corner, that may foster some collaborative work on things that
>> aren't in ASF not because of social problems, but because of legal ones.
>> This project could also be laid out so that it's easy to slip it into
>> the main Cocoon distro (think "src/blocks/blah") and therefore allow
>> users to easily build their own bigger Cocoon.
>> Just some thoughts.
>> Sylvain
> +1
> I did some work on "blockifying" Fins a year ago or so. As you can see
> in the installation instructions:
> There are quite
> a few steps you need to perform to install a external block into Cocoon.
> The main problems is that you need to copy your block to the blocks
> directory and patching jars.xml and gump.xml. I think it would be good
> if one could (at least) optionally place the jar.xml and gump.xml
> snippet within the block. And also to have a configuration file in the
> Cocoon main directory with the positions and names of all external
> blocks, much like the mount-table.xml.
> I don't know much about the build system in Cocoon, would something
> like what I described above be easy to add? Any ideas about how to
> handle external compile time blocks, so that it becomes a step in the
> path towards real blocks?

I don't see why not. We could add a /src/external-blocks folder to the
file structure. Any folders in there are treated in a certain way -
using the xpatch ant task to patch gump.xml or jar.xml or whatever.

Even better, add a property to (and thus (or of blocks.external.location.

That way, all you'd need to do is check out the cocoondev blocks, set
the property to point to that checkout and build Cocoon.

Regards, Upayavira

View raw message