cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Some notes about the "Real Blocks" issue
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:07:49 GMT
I must admit, I have issues with this whole discussion.  I understand
that there are problems with the Avalon community and that the current
code base is making implementing real blocks difficult.  But I have also
used Spring and have issues with that. To summarize:
1. Figuring out what is going on in cocoon.xconf and cocoon.roles is
pretty straightforward. Providing enhancements that fulfill the same
contracts is easy.  In my use of Spring I have not seen the same thing.
I just see a bunch of classes being created and set methods called on
some of them.
2. I have recently been digging into the Portal block.  IMO, Carsten has
done a masterful job of leveraging the best of Avalon, Cocoon and
Castor.  Frankly, I'm just not sure how this could work as well in an
environment built on dependency injection.  The documentation on the
portal is pretty thin.  However, because it adhers to contracts it is
pretty easy to match up the configuration with the interfaces and then
look at what individual classes are doing.  I wonder if this would be
true with a container such as Spring.

In short, the fact that Cocoon is just a bunch of parts that get
configured is one of Cocoon's major strengths.  However, the current
configuration is pretty easy to understand and modify.  If the
replacement container makes the configuration more complex and less
understandable that will really hurt the acceptance of the product.