cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Some notes about the "Real Blocks" issue
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:55:09 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:

> Umm, I don't really see a pattern here.  From everything I've seen the
> communities involved with Spring and Geronimo have little in common with
> the Avalon/Excalibur communities. (Let me qualify that by saying I
> haven't looked that closely.) More-over, they both have the advantage of
> being able to look at past history and learn from it.

I need a *record* of stability, the attitude is not enough, I'm sorry.

>>History should teach people not to repeat the same mistakes
>>again... but hey, what do I know, I've only been around here for 7
> years.
>
> Many people have learned many things both technically and community wise
> in the past 7 years. If it is really this bad why aren't we writing our
> own XML parsers and XSLT engines?

Because they have been around forever *AND* they don't change their
contracts overnight. Example: xalan2 broke 25% of the gump build last
night, it was solved after a few hours.

> After all they are as critical to
> Cocoon as the containers.  Why not take it all the way and write our own
> JVM?

FYI, I spent the last day making sure that gump runs against Kaffe and
GNU classpath to see how far away we are in that regard.

--
Stefano.