cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Possible security problem with flowscript
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:04:21 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Today we came across a possible security problem when you use flow
> script. We tested the following example with 2.1.5.1 and the
> current 2.1.x branch. Here is a simple example:
>
> We have two areas in our web application, one is available for every
> user and one area is only accessible for authenticated users.
> We create two sub sitemaps - one for each area. Both are using
> flow with different scripts. The second sitemap is protected
> by using the authentication framework (how the authentication
> is done is actually not important).
> In each sitemap we have a matcher for the continuation id:
>
> Sitemap for global area:
>  - mounted at /global
>  - flowscript global.js
>  - matcher for continuation id
>    <map:match pattern="continue.*">
>        <map:call continuation="{1}"/>
>    </map:match>
>
> Sitemap for protected area:
>  - mounted at /protected
>  - flowscript protected.js
>  - matcher for continuation id
>    <map:match pattern="*.cont">
>        <map:call continuation="{1}"/>
>    </map:match>
>
> Now, if someone is able to pick up a valid continuation id for the protected
> area, it is possible to continue the flow script in "protected.js" by
> calling: "/global/continue.CONT_ID".
> Which means there isn't any further check, if the continuation id belongs
> to the sitemap or to the used javascripts in that sitemap.
> And flow is able to continue the script without any problems.
>
> So it seems that it would be good if we would have some further checks.
> I think, it would be good if flow would check if the continuation id
> belongs to the sitemap where the map:call is performed. Currently the
> ids are global and not on a per sitemap level.
> Or we store the continuations in the session. Or?
Ah.. I did not read your mail carefully enough. You would like to bind
continuations to the sitemap. My HolderAwareContinuationsManagerImpl stores
all continuations in session regardles of it's creation place. If there is
some possibility to bind a WebContinuationsHolder to a particular sitemap the
change in my continuations manager is a few liner really (just change the way
the WebContinuationsHolder is being looked up).