cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sales Materials
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:41:22 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 15 oct. 04, à 08:32, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> ...However, this may sometimes be a delicate subject as we're
>> touching here to business and hence money. The acceptance of these
>> success stories must therefore follow the usual community rules we
>> use for committing code...
>

> You're right - in the case of the GT success stories though, they have
> been public at the GT and the slides will probably be downloadable, so
> I don't think there's a problem in "re-publishing" them to the wiki
> (or maybe linking to them from a "success stories" page to avoid
> duplication).
>
> Could you clarifiy how the "usual community rules we use for
> committing code" would apply to such a "success stories" page?

Well, discussing new submissions before adding them, and using majority
vote if there's not a lazy agreement.

> I'm just curious about what we need to be careful about and what parts
> of the "ASF way" apply to this - due to ignorance on my part, nothing
> else.

ASF is all about favouring use of OSS in commercial environments, as
allowed by its liberal license. So having a success stories page telling
about business use cases is not a problem. Rather the contrary, IMO.
However, our responsibility is to be careful that this doesn't turn into
advertisement or marketing blabla.

Success stories must promote Cocoon but not the people or companies that
used it, although having their names present in the story is a way for
us to pay back by giving visibility. That may seem a subtle distinction,
but I'm sure we'll be able to manage it.

Sylvain