cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Some notes about the "Real Blocks" issue
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:54:25 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Personally, I'd favor Avalon support for chosen container. As Ralph
>> noted, and he is not alone, people like Avalon, and we should support
>> it for years to come.
>

> Well, people will like DI containers once they start using them :-)

One does not exclude the other! I'd love to have ThreadSafe Configurable
Initializable component with DI, both constructors and setters. And if it
supports javadoc style meta info on top of it - even better. It's called smooth
migration path: support good old Avalon Components, and new trendy stuff in
parallel.

>> So why to run two containers - one too much - if Avalon support can be
>> implemented in new container of choice. More memory, management, and
>> confusion overhead. And people also would ask why two containers if
>> old is still there and is used 99% of time (and that's where you
>> answer on my question above - what's so cool about new container -
>> helps).
>

> I share your opinion. It would be better to provide an Avalon
> compatibility layer with the new container that having the old ECM still
> inside.

Paint me happy :-)

Vadim