cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Some notes about the "Real Blocks" issue
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:41:21 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Cocoon undergo phase transition when moving from 1.x to 2.x.
>
> Are we doing it again?
>
> The question on the table is: we *NEED* better class discovery and
> classloading isolation. This is a must, just like the need for SAX
> pipelines drove 2.x away from 1.x in a non-incremental way (phase
> transition, as I said).
>
> Can we implement classloading isolation with incrementally modifying
> what we already have?

 From the descriptions sent by Ugo and Sylvain, they both agree that "kernel
container" is something completely different than "intra-block container", which
means that it should be implemented on top of existing Cocoon codebase as loader
and manager of intra-containers regardless of particular technology used for
implement intra-container (ECM, Spring, shell script...)

So me feeling here is that these are two separate threads;
  * Steps to implement "kernel container".
    Pier made the first step already.
  * Directions for improvement "intra container".
    One decision we made recently was (finish) the move to Fortress.

We can back up from that commitment and choose different target, be it
Nano/Pico/Merlin/etc, but it should be independent of kernel container, so we
can do that in parallel tracks.

And one more discussion thread is needed, about roadmap for 2.1 branch, 2.2
branch, and possibly 2.3. Cocoon 2.2 is a good place to introduce fortress, and
Cocoon 2.3 can have other intra-container implementations, whatever we choose.

Vadim