cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Some information on Cocoon Block Deployer
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:28:11 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:
> Folks,

>             - [ ] No downloading of blocks from repositories

Because of some discussions at Gent I think there are some people more having a
wrong impression of what the Cocoon Block deployer (CBD) does. Expressed in
simple terms it is a library that extracts the content of a COB file into the
blocks directory of a Cocoon installation. BTW, Commons transaction, which
provides filesystem transactions, works in my first tests really well!

As it is only a library, a client is needed that uses it. I want to provide an
Ant task that can install a bunch of COBs. But in the future having something
like a Eclipse wizard would be nice. For now the library is only used in unit tests.

Beside installing a COB file, the CBD is able to access COB libraries. For the
time being I only support the file system but integrating something like a web
service providing blocks should be very straight forward (only a new locator
implementation within the CBD library is necessary). Anybody volunteering
writing a Cocoon application that provides blocks via web services? (This should
be very easy!!!)

Finally I want to say what the CBD is NOT:
- It's not an implementation of "real blocks". It's only about their installation.
- There is no direct interface between the block machinery in Cocoon and its
deployment. If Cocoon finds a new block installed (extracted) in the block
directory it uses it. So I was able to start with the CBD because it should work
with any block solution we agree on. How the block.xml and wiring.xml finally
look like, isn't important ATM.

View raw message