cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Some information on Cocoon Block Deployer
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:28:11 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:
> Folks,

>             - [ ] No downloading of blocks from repositories

Because of some discussions at Gent I think there are some people more having a
wrong impression of what the Cocoon Block deployer (CBD) does. Expressed in
simple terms it is a library that extracts the content of a COB file into the
blocks directory of a Cocoon installation. BTW, Commons transaction, which
provides filesystem transactions, works in my first tests really well!

As it is only a library, a client is needed that uses it. I want to provide an
Ant task that can install a bunch of COBs. But in the future having something
like a Eclipse wizard would be nice. For now the library is only used in unit tests.

Beside installing a COB file, the CBD is able to access COB libraries. For the
time being I only support the file system but integrating something like a web
service providing blocks should be very straight forward (only a new locator
implementation within the CBD library is necessary). Anybody volunteering
writing a Cocoon application that provides blocks via web services? (This should
be very easy!!!)

Finally I want to say what the CBD is NOT:
- It's not an implementation of "real blocks". It's only about their installation.
- There is no direct interface between the block machinery in Cocoon and its
deployment. If Cocoon finds a new block installed (extracted) in the block
directory it uses it. So I was able to start with the CBD because it should work
with any block solution we agree on. How the block.xml and wiring.xml finally
look like, isn't important ATM.

--
Reinhard