cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Implementation of the Continuations checker
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:57:56 GMT

On 30-okt-04, at 18:46, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> I think the key point is that we are using Quartz as the
>> implementation,
>> but not as the interface. Now we already have the quartz block with
>> the required implementation, so it's easy to use that.
>> The first step is to do this move. If then someone things that an
>> own implementation would be better, this can simply be changed without
>> destroying compatibility.
>>
>> Carsten
>>
> I'm not saying don't do this, but I am asking if this is really what
> you want.  After briefly looking at the Event interface and the Cron
> block, they appear to be very different.  The Cron block appears to be
> about job scheduling, which is fine if that is really what you want.
> But if you really want some sort of Event handling, I'm not sure Cron
> is what you want - mostly I guest because I'm not sure what that
> means.
>
> I guess I would just like a confirmation that the interface that is
> going to be used is acceptable.

I agree. The focus of quartz seems very different than that provided by
event and that needed by the use cases Vadim listed. Looking at the
JobScheduler interface I can't shake off the feeling that cron is not
the canon (honestly it's quite a beast!) best fitted to shoot the flies
we are dealing with.

I'd much prefer we implement our own excalibur event (why not just fork
it? it's good code!)

--
Unico