cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: problems starting 2.1.6-dev
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 06:45:27 GMT
On Monday 18 October 2004 04:17, Ugo Cei wrote:

> No one has ever demonstrated that doing an "import" on classes that are
> under the LGPL obliges you to license your code under the (L)GPL.

The FSF and ASF legal counsel have both said it does.

> It even goes against the publicly stated intentions of the Hibernate
> developers.

Well, the LGPL is written in a way that someone else can sue on the Copyright
owner's behalf. I.e. technically Microsoft could sue 'you' for violating the
Hibernate LGPL.

> I'd use the Apache license without fear in this case (as a
> matter of fact, I do).

That is of course your perogative, and I am sure I have violated, or
potentially violated, the (L)GPL as well at times, but one should be more
concerned when a larger community is at stake.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /