cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Some notes about the "Real Blocks" issue
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:43:54 GMT
On Friday 15 October 2004 15:29, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

IMHO, generally, compatibility provided through subclassing is 'asking for
long-term trouble'. Take a deep look inside the Netbeans project for a scary
example.
Subclassing of interfaces is slightly better...

> > public interface Source extends org.apache.cocoon.source.Source {} ?
>
> You mean this as a compatibility layer, right? So, new code would use
> the o.a.c.s.Source and old code can still use the o.a.e.s.Source?
>
> Hmm, I actually don't know what's best. What do others think?

However, you are requesting that the Excalibur Source is a subclass of the
Cocoon Source. I suspect that is a typo, but if not, then you are introducing
a cross-dependency with the Excalibur project, or breaking namespace policies
by using the excalibur namespace.

Either way, having the same name is not a good idea, as it makes code that
cares about the difference very messy.

Cheers
Niclas
--