cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Daisy as CMS: why don't use JDO?
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:41:49 GMT
On Thursday 14 October 2004 17:46, Luca Garulli wrote:

> Ok, I understand your point of view. You think that a GENERIC tool for
> OR mapping cannot resolve large scale and complex systems... Sorry but
> I don't agree. There are several success stories about JDO (you can
> find some of these on www.JDOCentral.com) and other OR technologies
> (Hibernate? OJB?).

_I_ agree with you. Some JDO implementations can probably outperform >95% of
any handcoded effort, plus provide inter-JVM caching, inter-JVM lock
management and many other tricky aspects of persistence.

But, if they want to do JDBC straight up, adding DB by DB one by one, maintain
it long-term, and crank out the performance that they need, Let Them.
I remember the day when the same type of arguments were used about
implementing your own database system as well... Not too common today. :o)

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /