cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject RE: [RT] Some notes about the "Real Blocks" issue
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:22:18 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> writes:

> Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
>
> > Umm, I don't really see a pattern here.  From everything
> I've seen the
> > communities involved with Spring and Geronimo have little in common
> > with the Avalon/Excalibur communities. (Let me qualify that
> by saying
> > I haven't looked that closely.) More-over, they both have the
> > advantage of being able to look at past history and learn from it.
>
> I need a *record* of stability, the attitude is not enough, I'm sorry.

Fair enough.  How long of record?

> >>History should teach people not to repeat the same mistakes
> >>again... but hey, what do I know, I've only been around here for 7
> > years.
> >
> > Many people have learned many things both technically and community
> > wise in the past 7 years. If it is really this bad why aren't we
> > writing our own XML parsers and XSLT engines?
>
> Because they have been around forever *AND* they don't change their
> contracts overnight. Example: xalan2 broke 25% of the gump build last
> night, it was solved after a few hours.

You'd know better than I, but when Cocoon started using Xalan I don't
think it was around very long or very stable?  The issue here (in Cocoon
land) seems more a bias against containers than any real policy...

> > After all they are as critical to
> > Cocoon as the containers.  Why not take it all the way and
> write our
> > own JVM?
>
> FYI, I spent the last day making sure that gump runs against
> Kaffe and
> GNU classpath to see how far away we are in that regard.

Cool, from the way you posted that it sounds like the results where
positive ??? (Java 1.5 here we come...)