cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Persisting SimpleLuceneQuery [Long]
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:21:41 GMT
Le 29 oct. 04, à 12:41, Jeremy Quinn a écrit :

> ...What I hope to do is to make the Queries persistable in HSQLDB via
> ORO...

ORO? That's a regexp package, do you mean OJB instead?

> ...I suppose one of the first questions that needs asking before going
> ahead and making an Apache ORO equivalent to the above, is : is the
> structure of the SimpleLuceneQuery/SimpleLuceneQueryBean and
> SimpleLuceneCriterion/SimpleLuceneCriterionBean as good as it needs to
> be? Can it be improved? Is it easy enough to extend it? Is the
> Interface overkill? If it is desirable, is it properly done etc.
> etc...

One simplification in terms of storage might be to edit the query
criterion as an XML document and store this as a block in the DB (but I
don't know how hard it is to get from this XML to Lucene criteria
then).

It would make the DB model much simpler, and I don't think you're
running queries on the criterion table anyway, or are you? I imagine
querying on the user_id, date and name fields only, so I'm not sure if
the separate criterion table brings something.

Also, considering storage of an XML block keyed by user_id, date and
name makes it easier to make storage pluggable, allowing file-based
storage if someone wants it for example.

I don't want to suggest change for the sake of change, but as you're
asking ;-)

> ...Should QueryFavourites.js be rewritten in Java? Should it be in the
> style of a DAO?

Dunno about a DAO but it looks like it should - this is not code that
is going to change often, and it needs to be robust and tested, so I'd
move it to java.

> ...I guess I need to add a new Block to Cocoon, eek I have never done
> one !!

It's very easy if you take one of the simplest blocks as a template.

> ...Once again, I would like to express my thanks to Antonio for
> offering to help with this...

We know he's a nice guy ;-)

-Bertrand