cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] doco lite?
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:14:58 GMT
On 26 Oct 2004, at 20:46, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> So I cannot refrain from sharing this idea, although I have no code to
> back it up yet...

Similarly, however not even _hinting_ that this is something I'd want
to push myself, your set of goals and techniques still somehow teased
me in doing a cross-tabulation with Daisy features...

> GOALS
> G1. Generate our docs and website dynamically, directly from the SVN
> repository accessed over http

Not from SVN, but publishing a website is definitely a feature.

> G2. Give access to older versions of the docs using standard SVN
> mechanisms (tags etc)

Likewise, for individual documents. Making the publisher configurable
so that one can say: "show me a website with this (version) field set
to this value" could be possible though. It's hardcoded now to show the
latest version, but one can navigate (per document) to older versions
easily.

> G3. Index the latest version of the docs, including structured fields
> (keywords, target audience, components mentioned, etc), to implement
> "prepared queries" (as links, simply) to improve our docs'
> accessibility

Oh yes. Metadata & queries. Show queries as documents. Dynamically
include documents into other ones. Ditto for query results. Use queries
in navigation.

> TOOLS / TECHNIQUES
> T1. Get content from SVN, editing is considered a separate problem

The default Daisy front-end app is definitely Wiki-like: authoring &
publishing are one.... in a positive sense however: they share the same
skinning system.

> T2. Build an index with Lucene, triggered via SVN post-commit hooks,
> uses a live Cocoon instance to generate an easy to index XML document
> for Lucene. Include metadata fields as mentioned in G2 above,
> generated from (enhanced as compared to now) document content

We do Lucene indexing - and we add metadata field content to those
indexes, so that documents about a certain keyword can be found even if
the exact word doesn't exist in the document itself, only in the
metadata.

> T3. Generate pages using a live Cocoon instance, maybe Forrest. SVN
> tags "pass through" the URLs to give access to older releases of the
> docs.

See G2.

> T4. Use queries like "find all documents which talk about sitemap
> matchers" to build navigation pages semi-automatically.

See G3.

Please mind: I do not want to push this or make this into some
"competitive offer". Consider it a thought experience. I hate
documentation stored in SVN/CVS with a passion, as much as I hate the
dual documentation pools (xdocs/Wiki).

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org