cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] StringTemplate: The answer to our templating needs?
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:28:26 GMT
Le 29 oct. 04, à 12:59, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :

>> Bart Molenkamp wrote:
>> No, you're right - this is a possible danger. But as long as we only
>> make it pluggable and be careful that we don't fall into this trap,
>> I see no problem with it.
>
> The question is: Do we want to prevent our users from this or is it
> their own decision?

Definitely their own decision.

I think the "show the mainstream/correct way but don't block users from
doing whatever if they really want" attitude that we see in several
places in Cocoon is very powerful. It leaves space for people to be
experimental and (sometimes) find cool new ways of doing things.

If you think about it this is the basic philosophy of unix: consider
your users as intelligent people and don't take them by the hand too
much. This is very powerful for platforms, and Cocoon *is* becoming a
platform.

-Bertrand